One of the far, far off islands in Tokyo, these islands have kind of been a bucket list for me. Well, Aogashima mainly because it was supposedly the inspiration for the movie Kimi-no-nawa. But come on! Have you seen the picture of Aogashima??? Need I say more?
Budget: JPY21,980 (~USD209)
- JPY7,970, less 15% discount if booked 14 days prior. Ferry, Tokyo to Hachijio-jima
- JPY2,520. Ferry, Hachijo-jima to Aogashima
- JPY2,520. Ferry, Aogashima to Hachijo-jima
- JPY1,000. Bus Pass, Hachijo-jima
- JPY7,970, less 15% discount if booked 14 days prior. Ferry, Hachijiojima to Tokyo
- *JPY11,750 if flying from Aogashima to Hachijo-jima.
- Target: 2021
- Anytime during the year! It is apparently warm throughout the year, so for those who wish to escape the winter cold, then this is the right place.
- Hachijo-jima Freesia Flower festival - around end of March to early April.
Access : Hachijojima
- By Plane. Only flown by ANA, and the prices I see are around JPY12,000 one way. I don't really expect a sale or a discount.
- By Ferry. There's a 20% discount (or 15% for weekends) if booked 14 days prior, or booked online (new promo, so not sure how long that'll last). Schedule (only one per day), prices are provided below, as well as the corresponding rooms.
Access : Aogashima Access
- By Ferry. One way fare is JPY2,520.
- Cancellations are common given the sea conditions. People are informed by 7am daily for the status.
- Schedule at http://www.izu-syotou.jp/route01/index_e.html?date=20200727, reservations not needed. Not in operation on Sundays, holidays are not consistent, so check the schedule in the link beforehand.
- 9:30am, Hachijo-jima -> 12:30pm, Aogashima
- 12:50pm, Aogashima -> 03:50pm, Hachijo-jima OR
- 01:30pm, Aogashima -> 04:30pm, Hachijo-jima
- By Helicopter. One way fare is JPY11,750. Reservations at http://tohoair-tal.jp/ . They only accept reservations a month in advance. There's a 5kg allowance, and every kg in excess costs JPY240.
- If without reservations, you'll have to come in an hour before. Which is quite risky, given that there are only nine seats.
- Flight schedule as follows:
- 09:20am, Hachijo-ijma -> 09:40am, Aogashima. Check in from 8:30 to 8:50.
- 09:45am, Aogashima -> 10:05am, Hachijo-jima. Check in from 8:55 to 9:15.
Transportation within the Island
- Hachijo-jima. This link is pretty comprehensive, but I'm writing things down here for my own checklist. They have a pass that covers unlimited usage of buses and onsen (spa), which they call BU-S-PA (get it?). Either way, the buspa pass costs JPY1,000 for two days. The bus route is in this website: https://www.8bus.jp/. Other than those two buses, walking is the only way to go. Or biking.
- "循環路線" City bus, which basically runs around the city part of the town.
- Up and down the hill - "坂" means hill, "上" means up, "下" means down. This bus is the only way to the southermost part of the island.
- Saka-ue (坂上) OR Sueyoshi-yuki (末吉行き). The way to the southern part, to the famous Sueyoshi-onsen (末吉温泉).
- Saka-shita (坂下). The return trip.
Bus schedule, Kaminato (かみなと) < > Sueyoshi (末吉)
- Aogashima. It doesn't seem like there is public transportation in the island. To be fair, to go from the port to the tip of the island is a 3.6km walk. (or a bit more than an hour according to google maps, so I'd put it at 2 hours)
- Hostel. Plenty of options in your booking websites.
- Camping. Both require reservation (closed for 2020)
- Hostel. The cheapest I can find is JPY7,800 a night, including shuttle service pick up. They are listed here, and when I checked, they are not really listed on the normal reservation sites.
- Camping. Google maps pin here. Closed for 2020, reservations required (via email). The guide is at the bottom of the this link. The camping ground is 1.5kms away from the port, about 30 minutes walk according to google maps.
- Hiking! Will write a separate post for this.
- Diving. Arabesque charges JPY7,500 plus taxes for beach diving.
- Sueyoshi-onsen (末吉温泉). I see this place's picture all over. It costs JPY500 to get in, and they are open from 10:30am til 9:30pm (last entry at 9pm), they are closed Tuesdays, Holidays (and Sundays?), and the entirety of July and August.
- Mainly walking around it seems.
- Hachijio-jima: http://tokyoislands.jp/category/hachijojima
- Aogashima: http://tokyoislands.jp/aogashima-islands-perfect-guide-must-see-spots-activities-accommodation-and-access
- 10:30pm. Ferry, Tokyo Port to Hachijiojima. JPY7,970, less 15% discount if booked 14 days prior.
- 08:55am. ETA: Hachijiojima. With an 8:55am arrival time, it's impossible to make it on time for the helicopter's last call of 8:50am.
- 09:30am. Ferry, Hachijiojima to Aogashima, JPY2,520 one way.
- 12:30pm. ETA: Aogashima. Walk to the camp area. Explore Aoshima.
- Spend the night.
- 09:45am. If the weather is cooperating, try to book a flight back. Otherwise, take the ferry.
- 12:50pm. Ferry, Aogashima to Hachijojima
- 03:50pm. ETA: Hachijojima. Go to the camp area.
- Explore Hachijojima.
- 09:40am. Ferry, Hachijijima to Tokyo
- 07:50pm. ETA: Tokyo.