Bus seems to be NOT running for 2020, so I'm parking this hike.
Budget: JPY (~USD)
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 1,914m / 6,280ft)
- Difficulty: 2 out of 20
- Route below is around 5.0kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲676m/ ▽676m
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
Not in 2020 unless you have a car, in which case I'd say May to October (or just avoid winter months, as northern Japan sees a LOT of snow)
- Mountain hut: Free. Right at the summit, and it looks pretty good, here's the google pictures.
- Trailheads. Quite a bit, so let's list them.
- 河原坊. From 新花巻駅, but there's a big "X" in the map saying this is not passable from May 2016 due to some... landslide or something?
- 小田越. From 新花巻駅. Ascent: 2.5 hours, 2.5kms, elev change of ▲673m/ ▽3m. For 2020, there is no bus running based on the city's website.
- 平津戸. From 盛岡駅. Ascent: 5 hours, 9.5kms, elev change of ▲1,622m/ ▽170m.
- 握沢 / 門馬登山口. No public transport
- 早池峰山 岳登山口. From 新花巻駅. Ascent: 8 hours, 9kms, elev change of ▲1,589m/ ▽177m.
Bus schedule Hiratsuto (平津戸) < > Morioka Station (盛岡駅)
Take this with a grain of salt, as another website says buses are NOT running for 2020. I personally would call them first (0198-41-3124)
- Start hike.