A really pleasant hike, this loop is a great option for those who wish to get out of the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. This is part of the Hanno Alps, and covers some peaks.
Budget: JPY1,830 (~USD18)
- JPY1,020. Train, Tokyo to Shomaru Station.
- JPY810. Train, Nishi-Agano Station to Tokyo.
- January 31, 2021
- Difficulty: 2 out of 5.
- Route below is around 11.3kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,157m/ ▽1,218m (5h50m)
- Map Link
When to Go
Anytime during the year! No special gear needed in winter.
- Weather forecast: Japanese.
- Trailheads. Both trailheads easily accessible by train.
- Shoumaru Station (正丸駅). There's a restroom to the left of the station, and one store in front, though not sure as to the extent of the selection. There's vending machines too.
- From the station, follow the river to the trailhead (google maps pin). Google maps works.
- Nishi-Agano Station (西吾野駅). A much smaller stop that Shoumaru Station.
- From the station, use google maps to go to the trailhead (google maps pin),
- Mountain huts.
- Paid. None.
- Free. None.
- Camping. None. Though there are enough flat spots for wildcamping, usually close to the summits.
- Mountains covered:
- Mt. Gorin (五輪山), 842m
- Mt. Izu (伊豆ヶ岳), 850m
- Mt. Komitake (古御岳), 830m
- Mt. Takahata (高畑山), 695m
- The ideal place for lunch is a clearing close to Mt. Takahata.
- No signs in English, so take note of the Japanese characters.
- 07:03am. Train, Tokyo to Shomaru Station.
- 09:13am. ETA: Shomaru Station.
- 09:15am. Start hike.
- 11:10am. ETA: Mt. Gorin (五輪山), 842m
- 11:30am. ETA: Mt. Izu (伊豆ヶ岳), 851m
- 11:50am. Mt. Komitake (古御岳), 830m
- 12:20pm. Mt. Takahata (高畑山), 695m
- 03:05pm. ETA: Nishi-Agano Station.
- 06:30am. Started walking to the station, got some coffee and snacks.
- 07:03am. Train, Tokyo to Shomaru Station, via Hanno Station. I just had to cross across the platform. After Hanno Station, the train stops for a while at each station.
- 09:13am. Arrived at Shomaru Station. Exiting the station, to the left is the restroom, and to the right is the stairs to the trailhead. I went to the restroom first.
- 09:15am. Started hike. I went down a rather steep set of stairs, turned right and continued walking next to the river until I got to the trailhead.
- 09:40am. Arrived at the trailhead (google maps pin). The road curves to the right, and I went in the trail to the left.
- 09:48am. Arrived at a fork, thought it doesn't really look like a fork as it only has an arrow pointing to the right - 名栗げんきブラザ. I ignored that and followed the trail to the left. Soon enough the steep ascent started.
- 10:09am. Arrived at the ridge. More or less a descent up and down from here.
- 10:21am. Arrived at Mt. Gorin (五輪山), 842m
- 10:37am. Arrived at Mt. Izu (伊豆ヶ岳), 850m. Sat down to have a ten minute early lunch. Within a minute I arrived at a fork, I took the turn to the left, pointing at 天目指峠.
- 11:13am. Arrived at Mt. Komitake (古御岳), 830m
- 11:43pm. Arrived at Mt. Takahata (高畑山), 695m
- 11:49am. Arrived at a little clearing with a nice view of the surrounding mountains - this is the best lunch spot, but at this point I just ate and am rushing to go down.
- 12:19pm. Arrived at the road, I turned left, and immediately saw the cottage. The trail is to the left of the cottage.
- 12:57pm. Arrived at a fork, with the left road not pointing to anything really and the right pointing to the shrine. I turned right.
- 01:00pm. Arrived at the shrine, and continued walking. A restroom is available to the left of the red torii. The way down is a little path to the left of the torii (no need to go to the parking lot). I followed the road, and saw a right turn going to 吾野駅 - Agano Station. I skipped that since I am going to 西吾野駅 - Nishi-Agano Station. Within a minute or two is the turn going to 西吾野駅. The descent had a lot of switchbacks, but it was mainly a gentle slope, not hard on the knees, which I'm definitely thankful for.
- 01:32pm. Arrived at the end of the trail (google maps pin), and was back on the road. Started using google maps to go to the station. Basically followed the main road and turned left once I reached the main highway. At the traffic light, I turned right and followed the road til I got to the station.
- 01:54pm. Arrived at Nishi-Agano Station.
- 02:03pm. Train, Nishi-Agano Station to Tokyo.
|The path is to the right of the station.|
|Went down the stairs, then turned right.|
|Followed the main road, right next to the river (so I kept right in this fork), until I saw the trailhead.|
|The trailhead. It's the trail to the left after crossing the bridge.|
|Trails were easy to follow, and those that has multiple trails had other paths clearly cordoned off.|
|For those doing this in reverse, this section was really tricky as the path is an offshoot to the right - right where that guy is standing. But I think even if you do miss that turn, you'll get to the station... one way or another.|
|Finally at the ridge!|
|Immediately had to descend.|
|They actually had a chain section, but I think it is permanently cordoned off.|
|Surprisingly has two markers.|
|My rest stop for the day, with my hundred yen seat cover.|
|The fork right after the summit.|
|Taking a peek at Mt. Buko. Kidding. It's just another mountain being quarried.|
|A pretty slippery part going down.|
|Mt. Komitake (古御岳) marker.|
|The cottage right in front of Mt. Komitake (古御岳).|
|Mt. Takahata (高畑山) marker.|
|Right in front of Mt. Takahata (高畑山) are some benches.|
|The clearing which is the best lunch spot as far as I can tell.|
|Beautiful view. Too bright though.|
|Reached the road. I turned left.|
|The trailhead is at the left of the cottage.|
|Wonder if you can camp in here? Might be too tight.|
|A place for wild camping! Close to fork going to the shrine.|
|The fork leading to the shrine. To the left is something I did not explore and is not on my map, so I kept right.|
|The shrine. The path for hikers is to the right.|
|The toilet is to the left of the red arch.|
|The path down is immediately to the left, right next to where that guy is standing at.|
|A turn for Agano Station (吾野駅). I continued straight.|
|The turn for Nishi-Agano Station (西吾野駅). I turned right.|
|The fun descent. It wasn't too steep so not hard on the knees. |
|Back at civilization.|
|Walking at the main road. It was a pleasant walk throughout.|