Still on the fence on how to do it, but here's my options on the "how" as far as I know... for now.
Budget: JPY2,320 (~USD22)
- JPY1,160. Bus, Morioka Station to Trailhead - Matsumoto Onsen.
- JPY1,160. Bus, Matsumoto Onsen to Morioka Station.
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 2,038m / 6,686ft)
- Target Hike: 2020
- Difficulty: 5 out 5
- Route below is around 21.1kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,845m/ ▽1,591m
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
Based on this blog, April to November. I would say that this area gets a lot of snow, so I am personally leaning towards June to October.
- Hike with Hachimantai. The trail is actually linked with Hachimantai, so if you plan to do Hachimantai too then consider staying in the free mountain huts.
- Mountain huts. There's a LOT of free ones (no paid ones!) and very close to the summit. So just look at the map and enjoy!
- Trailheads. There are quite a lot of trailheads, and some of them have bus stops linked to it in the maps but upon further checks, the buses are not running anymore. I can simply tell you the one trailhead, but I figured might as well share the results for the other trailheads:
- 御神坂駐車場. No public transportation as buses have been stopped since 2018/2019 it seems.
- 馬返し. No public transportation.
- 焼走り. No public transportation.
- 上坊登山口. No public transportation.
- 七滝登山口. Bus stop: 県民の森入口バス. This is "Trailhead 1.1".
- 源太ヶ岳登山口. Bus stop: 松川温泉. This is "Trailhead 1.2"
- (奥)産道網張ゲート. No public transportation.
- 網張温泉. Bus stop: 網張温泉. This is "Trailhead 2". There should be a bus running, but based on this website, it is stopped on March 2019. As a new schedule is not posted, I am not sure if it is running. There is a shuttle for a hotel, see here.
- Trailhead 1. Both Trailhead 1.1. Nanataki-tozanguchi (七滝登山口) and Trailhead 1.2. Gentagadake-tozanguchi (源太ヶ岳登山口) share the same bus, both going to Matsukawa-onsen (松川温泉) from Morioka Station (盛岡駅), East exit (東口), bus stop 3. Bus schedule here, or the official but confusing website. There are three buses in a day, JPY1,160, 117 minutes one way.
- Start hike.