Budget: JPY16,720 (~USD158)
- JPY12,720. Train, Kushiro Station <> Shintoku Station (JPY6,360 one way).
- JPY4,000. Bus, Shintoku Station < > Tomuraushi Onsen.
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 2,143m / 7,031ft)
- Difficulty: 5 out of 5.
- Route below is around 22.6kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲2,032m/ ▽2,032m (10h40m)
- Map Link
When I was checking the logs, there was one as early as March (just one who's brave enough), and a lot til October. So I'd say don't do it between November and March.
- Loop of Mt. Asahi - Mt. Tomuraushi - Mt. Tokachi means a four day-3 night hike, covering around 63.7kms, with an elevation change of ▲4,899m/ ▽4,977m.
- Mountain huts.
- Paid: None.
- Free: None.
- Camping: 南沼キャンプ地, near the summit.
- Trailheads. Only one really, Tomuraushi Onsen. But the access difficulty and required ascent makes it much more efficient to do the loop mentioned above.
- Tomuraushi Onsen (トムラウシ温泉). Only one with public transportation access, if you can even call it that.
- Train to Shintoku Station.
- From Obihiro Station, JPY2,130, 31 minutes. (via Obihiro Airport). Earliest ETA: 07:16am.
- From Kushiro Station, JPY6,360, 129 minutes (via Kushiro Airport). Earliest ETA: 08:34am.
- From Ashikawa Station, you'll have to go to Sapporo Station.
- From Sapporo Station, JPY6,360, 121 minutes. Earliest ETA: 08:49am.
- Shuttle, Shintoku Station (新徳駅) to Tomuraushi Onsen (トムラウシ温泉)
- via Shuttle.
- Not operational for 2020.
- Reservations needed. Website here.
- Two buses a day: 08:45am and 04:15pm (which means if you are coming from Sapporo Station, you won't make it)
- via an Inn's pick up service (東大雪荘). Those staying in the inn can use the shuttle service, which is only available when the shuttle above is not in operation.
- Kuchanbetsu (クチャンベツ沼ノ原登山口). No public transportation.
- Tapun-tomuraushi Onsen (ヌプントムラウシ温泉). No public transportation. If you want to take a taxi, it'll be around JPY15,000 one way.
- Start hike.