A highly recommended viewing point of Kagoshima at night and of Sakurajima during the day, Shiroyama Park is a 5 minute (or half an hour) visit for anyone visiting this land down south.
Budget: JPY0 (~USD0)
- No expense, really.
- December 23, 2020 - nightview
- December 29, 2020 - sunrise
- I have done this visit as part of a week long Kyushu hikes.
When to Go
Anytime during the year, but I'd recommend visiting for the sunrise.
- As Sakurajima puffs out smoke nonstop 365 days a year, getting that perfect view may be a bit difficult, so do manage your expectations.
- It is easy to find, just google "Shiroyama Park Kagoshima". But here's the google maps pin.
- It says "yama" so I figured it was a mountain, but there's no summit whatsoever. At least I couldn't find it. Haha. So no, it's not a mountain. It's a hill.
This is what happened for the sunrise view. We stayed at a nearby hostel.
- 06:45am. Started walking from our hostel (Koko Hostel Tenmonkan) to Shiroyama.
- 07:02am. Arrived at the parking lot right below the observation deck.
- 07:06am. Arrived at the observation deck, and waited for the sunrise.
- 08:10am. Back at the hostel.
|Aaaaand here it is around 7pm at night.|