Again, no public transportation so I don't know when I'll get to do this.
Budget: JPY? (~USD)
- Budget depends on your car rental/having a friend with a car.
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 2,003m / 6,572ft)
- Target 2021
- Difficulty: 4 out of 5
- Route below is around 14.5kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲2,078m/ ▽2,078m
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
No public transportation, but given the amount of snow it gets according to this blog, June to October is the feasible hiking season.
- Mountain huts. Not a lot of options, so there's a risk that finding a place to stay at is going to be a challenge.
- Paid. Komanokoya (駒ノ小屋). JPY3,000, no meals. Reservations at 080-2024-5375. For 2020, they are open from July 1 to November 2.
- Free. None. There's an emergency hut (中ノ岳避難小屋) about 4.3kms away (5hours ish), so I'm not gonna consider it for this mountain.
- Camping. Space for 7-8 people spots available, so the earlier you hike the better.
- Trailheads. No public transport available, so car is needed to do this hike. Or hitchhiking.
- Shiori-touge (枝折峠). They say there's one bus a day from Koide Station (小出駅) going here, but I just can't find it. You can take a taxi, which will be almost JPY10,000 (50minutes, 26kms).
- 越後三山森林公園キャンプ場. No public transportation, taxi from Urasa Station (浦佐駅) is about JPY3,400.
- Komanoyu (駒ノ湯). No public transportation, or at least none that I can find. Taxi from Urasa Station (浦佐駅) is about JPY9,500.
- 十字峡登山センター. No public transportation. The closest bus stop is 2 hours away, and so I would not call that public transportation.
ItineraryFor this itinerary, I'm choosing 越後三山森林公園キャンプ場, as it is the closest to the summit.
- Start hike.