I am utterly tempted to do this mountain, but this is ridiculously expensive. If I'm a professional photographer though, it might be worth it. Just look at the pictures.
Budget: JPY9,600 (~USD90)
- JPY5,100. Roundtrip Ferry, Niigata to Ryoutsu (JPY2,550 one way)
- JPY2,500. Shuttle, Ryoutsu to Donde Sanso.
- JPY2,000. Shuttle, Hakuundai to Ryoutsu
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 1,172m / 3,845ft)
- Just the logistics. Given how expensive it is, I don't plan on doing it. Sorry.
- Map Link (Donde Sanso's)
When to Go
Peak season is spring - May. The rate for the hut is highest at this point too. The ferry runs throughout the year, but the car transport is only available from May 1st to September 30th.
- Ferry. Niigata (新潟発) to (両津着) One way is at JPY2,550 as the cheapest, but can go as high as JPY16,000+ to have a private room. You can do the ferry (カーフェリー, 2.5hr), fast ferry (高速カーフェリー, 2hr) or the jet (ジェットフォイル, 67mins), Timetable depends on the date, so just check here. Sample timetable for the ferry for August (新潟発 = Niigata Departure, 両津着 = Arrival)
- From the port, you have to reserve a car (45 minutes, JPY2,500/person one way). Reservation here, reservations needed at least 3 days in advance. They only run twice a day:
- From 両津 to Donden-Sanso, 9:15am, 12:45pm.
- From Donden-Sanso: 10:10am, 13:40am.
- From 白雲台 to 両津, 4pm (JUST ONE!, 50 minutes, JPY2,000/person). Reservation here, reservations needed at least 3 days in advance.
- Mountain huts: Donden Sanso
- 06:00am. Ferry, Niigata to Ryoutsu Port.
- 08:30am. Arrival, Ryoutsu Port.
- 09:15am. Shuttle, Ryoutsu Port to Donde Sanso.
- 08:00am. Wake up. Breakfast, start packing.
- 09:30am. Start hike.
- 03:30pm. ETA: Hakuundai (白雲台)
- 04:00pm. Shuttle to Ryoutsu.
- 07:30pm. Ferry, Ryoutsu to Niigata.