Surprisingly, this mountain is doable throughout the year. But be careful in all seasons.
Budget: JPY5,190 (~USD50)
Budget: JPY5,190 (~USD50)
- JPY2,100. Train, Sapporo Station to Kutchan Station.
- JPY460. Bus, Kutchan Station < > Youtei-shizenkouen (JPY230 one way)
- JPY2,630. Train, Kutchan Station to Sapporo Station.
- Difficulty: 5 out of 5.
- Route below is around 16.8kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,800m/ ▽1,800m (around 11 hours in total)
- PDF Map Link
When to GoIdeally during the hiking season, but there are plenty of people who do it in winter too. Here's a post from someone who did it in January 12, 2020.
- The summit is called Mt. Shiribeshi (後方羊蹄山).
- No water source in the mountain.
- Trailhead. Only one accessible with public transportation.
- Youtei-shizenkouen (羊蹄自然公園, google maps pin), which is right next to a parking and camping spot. From here, map says it's about 360 minutes to the summit, so allot about 6 hours.
- Access 1.
- Train, Sapporo Station to Hirafu Station (比羅夫駅). JPY2,100 one way, ETAs as follows: 09:58am, 12:42pm, 06:27pm.
- Walk. The trailhead is a 3.8km (one hour) walk from Hirafu Station.
- Access 2.
- Train, Sapporo Station to Kutchan Station (倶知安駅). JPY2,100 one way, ETAs as follows: 09:19am, 10:54am, 12:10pm, 01:50pm and 02:58pm.
- Bus, Kutchan Station (倶知安駅) to trailhead, 羊蹄自然公園. JPY230 one way, 11 minutes. Bus schedule here.
- Given the time constraints, might be best to target 10:54 arrival, 11:05am bus and then start the hike around noon.
- Makkari (真狩, google maps pin). Not accessible via public transportation, but it has camping spots and parking.
- 喜茂別 (google maps pin). No public transportation nor camping spot.
- 京極 (google maps pin). No public transportation nor camping spot.
- Mountain huts.
- Paid. None.
- Free. 羊蹄山避難小屋. Very close to the summit, with a fee of JPY1,000. From mid June to mid October, there'll be someone manning it, and you can pay him. Outside of that season, it's honesty basis.
- Camping. Lake Hangetsu Campsite (半月湖野営場, google maps pin), right at the Youtei-tozanguchi trailhead.
- Camping. Makkari (真狩, google maps pin)
It's about 5 hours from Hirafu Station to the summit.
- 08:43am. Sapporo Station to Kutchan Station (JPY2,100)
- 10:54am. Kutchan Station.
- 11:05am. Bus, Kutchan Station to Yotei-shizenkouen.
- 11:37am. ETA: Yotei-shizenkouen. Start hike.
- 04:00pm. ETA: Mountain hut. stay for the night.
- 05:00am.. Start hike.
- 11:00am. Back at trailhead.
- 09:39am. Bus, Yotei-shizenkouen to Kutchan Station.
- 10:15am. ETA: Kutchan Station.
- 11:46am. Train, Kutchan Station to Sapporo Station. JPY2,630.
- 12:40pm. Bus, Yotei-shizenkouen to Kutchan Station.
- 01:16pm. ETA: Kutchan Station.
- 02:10pm. Train, Kutchan Station to Sapporo Station.