This was Mt. Kintoki's plus one, and there's another one too, but I decided to skip it for the day as sunset comes pretty early and I'm a slow solo hiker, so I'm not taking my chances.
Budget: JPY4,820 (~USD46)
- JPY4,660. Train, Shinjuku Station < > Hakone-Yumoto Station (JPY2,330 one way)
- OR JPY2,440, if not taking the express train (Romance Car). (JPY1,220 one way)
- JPY1,100. Bus, Miyogino-shishomae (宮城野支所前) < > Hakone-Yumoto Station (箱根湯本駅) (JPY550 one way)
- Note: There is a pass called Hakone Pass, but it costs JPY5,000+, which is not worth it if for this trip.
- November 8, 2020
- Difficulty: 2 out of 5
- Route below is around 7.8 kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲876m/ ▽876m
- For a longer hike, I combined this with Mt. Kintoki, the combined itinerary to be linked here later.
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
Anytime during the year!
- Weather check.
- Nothing technical on this hike - no drops, chain section, etc. Definitely a place to bring your family and newbie hiker friends. Or just take a nice stretch in the mountains.
- Trailhead. I will refer to one trailhead for this hike, but there are definitely a couple that can be done assuming that you wish to combine the hike with a couple of summits. Here's a link of the map, so you can play with it.
- Miyogino-shishomae (宮城野支所前). The walk from the bus stop is not well marked, here's the google maps pin. Access to the bus stop as follows:
- Train, Tokyo to Hakone-Yumoto Station.
- Bus, Hakone-Yumoto Station (箱根湯本駅) to Miyogino-shishomae (宮城野支所前). JPY550, 16 minutes one way. Bus schedule here, return bus here.
- The return bus can get stuck in traffic (I was stuck for an hour). So try to get down at Ohiradai Station (大平台駅) and just take the local train to Hakone-yumoto Station.
Bus schedule, Miyogino-shishomae (宮城野支所前) ⇒ Hakone-Yumoto Station (箱根湯本駅)
Itinerary - Plan
- Mountain huts.
- Paid. None
- Free. None
- Camping. None. Wild camping is possible at the summit of Mt. Myoujin though.
- 06:31am. Train, Shinjuku to Hakone Yumoto, transfer at Odawara.
- 08:29am. ETA: Hakone-Yumoto Station.
- 08:41am. Bus, Hakone-Yumoto Station to 宮城野支所前 trailhead.
- ~08:56am. ETA: Bus stop, 宮城野支所前
- ~09:00am. Start hike.
- ~11:10am. ETA: 明神ヶ岳 summit. One hour lunch.
- ~01:50am. Back at trailhead.
- ~01:55pm. Bus, 宮城野支所前 to Hakone Yumoto Station (箱根湯本駅). Given how popular Hakone is, the traffic can be really bad (I was stuck for an hour, and this is a normal occurrence).
- 02:10pm. ETA: Hakone Yumoto Station (箱根湯本駅). Train, Hakone Yumoto Station to Shinjuku Station.
The pictures start at the summit, as I did this hike with Mt. Kintoki.
|The summit of Mt. Myoujin! Crowded, but not as crowded as Mt. Kintoki's. |
|Mt. Myoujin's summit marker, with Owakudani as the background (the theme of this hike)|
|Continuing on. |
|There were some forks immediately, I just kept looking at my map and stayed on the main path (right). |
|Still staying one the main path (right)|
|Soon I arrived at another fork, where I had the option of doing another mountain, or descending. As I wanted to be down with plenty of allowance given that sunset is before 5pm, I took the turn right to Miyagino.|
|The lower I get, the brighter the colors. |
|Arrived at civilization! But the trail is not over, from here on the trail is right next to a neighborhood. I simply went straight. |
|Just kept straight, and tried to stop myself from peeking on people's houses. |
|The end of the trail, turned left. From here on, google maps work. |
|There is a distinct lack of signs here, but just look for one that says bus stop in Japanese : バス停|
|Like this. Again, google maps work. |
|Finally got into the bus stop. |
|Had dinner at a soba place overlooking the river. |
|Long line to buy the ticket for the Romance Car. |
|The express tickets. |
|Waiting for the train. I've been here about three times now. This station is always crowded.|
|The big comfy seats. Soon enough I was home! Yey!|