Torn between the fact that it is SO close to the Sakura Mountain, so I want to do in in spring, yet it's one of the few mountains that is peak-winter friendly... so when should I do it?
Budget: JPY4,640 (~USD44)
- JPY2,380. Train, Kyoto Station <> Shimoichiguchi Station (JPY1,190 one way)
- JPY2,260. Bus, Shimoichiguchi <> Tenkawa-kawai Bus Stop (JPY1,130 one w25
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 1,915m / 6,283ft)
- Target: 2021
- Difficulty: 4 out of 5.
- Route below is around 25.0kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,800m/ ▽1,800m, over two days and 15 hours of hiking. This is based on this log.
- Map Link
When to Go
Throughout the year. The bus runs even in winter.
- The official high point is Hakkyougatake (八経ヶ岳), so that's the name to look for on the signs.
- Mountain huts.
- Paid: Misen-goya (弥山小屋). About 30 minutes away from the summit, JPY8,000 with two meals and JPY5,500 no meals. Open from mid-April to mid-November. Reservations at 0747-52-1332.
- Free: Ookamidaira-hinangoya (狼平避難小屋). 65 minutes to Misen-goya above, so about 1.5hours away from the summit.
- Camping. Camp spots available next to the mountain huts above.
- Trailheads. The ideal one is Mt. Misen Trailhead, but no public transportation. The only option now is Tenkawa-kawai Bus Stop (天川川合)
- Train, Kyoto Station to Shimoichiguchi Station.
- Express: 107 minutes, JPY1,710 one way.
- Local: 126 minutes, JPY1,190 one way.
- Bus, Shimoichiguchi Station (下市口駅) to Tenkawa-Kawai Bus Stop (天川川合), JPY1,130 one way.
Bus schedule, Shimoichiguchi Station (下市口駅) to Tenkawa-Kawai Bus Stop (天川川合)
- 06:35am. Train, Kyoto Station to Shimoichiguchi Station.
- 08:31am. ETA: Shimoichiguchi Station.
- 08:47am. Bus, Shimoichiguchi to Tenkawa-kawai.
- 09:41am. ETA: Tenkawa-kawai.
- 10:00am. Start hike.
- 03:10pm. ETA: Emergency hut.
- 05:00am. Start hike.
- 06:35am. ETA: Summit.
- 10:55am. ETA: Tenkawa-kawai.
- 11:39am. Bus, Tenkawa-kawai to Shimoichiguchi.
- 12:35pm. ETA: Shimoichiguchi Station.
- 12:56pm. Train, Shimoichiguchi Station to Kyoto Station.
- 15:02pm. ETA: Kyoto Station.